Greater Bergen is the most diversified region in the Norwegian oil and gas industry and a vital part of the Norwegian ocean industry.
The region hosts areas of the business ranging from upstream to midstream activities. The region covers the entire value chain from exploration, field development and production to decommissioning. Bergen is home to operational activities for various oil companies, and proudly hosts the most advanced offshore and subsea suppliers in the industry, including oil service companies, contractors, product and system providers and R&D institutions.
Supplying energy to the world
Greater Bergen is the number one landing area for oil and gas from The North Sea. This makes the region one of the key suppliers of North Sea gas to Europe and the world. Oil is also refined at Mongstad and shipped around the world along with a range of other petrochemical products.
World-class competence and technology
In Greater Bergen, you will easily find business partners and a vibrant environment for developing and fostering your business among the most diverse, competent and technology-oriented companies across the supply chain. There is close collaboration and interaction between all businesses in the area.
Greater Bergen highlights
- Experience in constructing advanced platforms and rigs (Kvaerner and Apply)
- Centre for operations and production in the North Sea (Equinor and Wintershall)
- One of Equinor’s centres for research
- The two largest oil service bases in Europe (Coast Center Base Ågotnes and Mongstad)
- Norway’s only refinery (Equinor Mongstad)
- Centre for MMO service companies (Aker Solutions, Aibel, Beerenberg and Reinertsen)
- Technology-oriented companies, high engineering competence and skilled workforce
- The most advanced fleets of seismic, supply, handling and subsea vessels (Eidesvik and DOF)
- Rig companies, advanced rigs and engineering expertise (Odfjell drilling, KCA Deutag and Songa)
- The most important hub for Norwegian oil and gas exports (Gassco Kollsnes)
- The Norwegian region with the most landing and process facilities in the industry (Mongstad, Sture and Kollsnes)
- Centre for regional subsea activities and a global centre of subsea expertise (OneSubsea, TechnipFMC and Aker Solutions)
- R&D and educational excellence (NORCE, Bergen University College and University of Bergen)